Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Starting a Doggie Quilt for Henry

I bought a cute little pattern called Dogs in Sweaters from the quilt shop in Suttons Bay Michigan. Henry loves dogs right now...that and army men and forest rangers. But dogs are #1 so I'm making him this quilt. It calls for 15 dog blocks... this one took me 3 hours! The reason it took so long is I made a few stupid mistakes like cutting out pieces 1/2" too long or short. Blaming it on my eye sight...

So when I looked at the pieces and the size of some of these little triangles I had to add, I decided I would be better off making some of the parts into foundation piecing. That's my pile below of all the parts that can be paper pieced. His feet, his eyes, his nose, the ears, his chest area.... Yeah, a lot of work but it'll come out much more accurate than if I just cut and pieced so I figured it was worth the time it took me to draw them out on my EQ and print them.


Before I started the dog quilt I did a quick little project... a Christmas Mug Rug out of scraps. I love doing these... they're fast and fun. I feel like I've accomplished something. I only had one Xmas mug rug and I wasn't too fond of it. Love this one.


So that's it for now. It's time for me to do a post of my current UFO's so that I can join in the UFO challenge at Patchwork Times. My list last year was 40+ and now I'm down into the 30's. The dog quilt will be added to the list too. I need a day to go through my projects and add up what I have. I know there are about 10 quilt tops... those just need quilting and binding so you would think I'd have them done fast but no... I get an idea and want to start something new. I just need to force myself to finish up what's started and doing the Challenge really helps.

Update: To see Henry's finished quilt:

4 comments:

Bridget said...

I love the doggie blocks. I would go the paper piece route myself. work up front but payoff on the back end. I am going to have to check out the quilt shop in Sutton Bay. I didn't know there was one there...umm. My need to vacation up the west coast this summer.

Northern Deb said...

We have a few really nice quilt shops up here. Cherry County Quilters in Suttons Bay, Renees in Williamsburg and my personal favorite Hearts to Holly Quilt shop in Charlevoix.

Karen said...

I have seen this design done by a couple other quilters and think it is cute as can be. Love the plaid doggie jacket.

Northern Deb said...

Thanks, Karen. I just love this pattern... I think Elizabeth Hartman, the designer, is a genius. She really has an artists eye. Not thrilled with how many pieces each block needs but i love the results.

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...