Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Pattern testing and making soup from turkey bones


Don't you just love these trees? I'm testing a pattern for @lizafranfran (Instagram name). This tree block will become a cute pillow. It was foundation pieced and so was SUPER simple!


I'm also working on a shop sample for my EPP class. I think the hexie flowers will become a pillow too.


So with a Thanksgiving over I'm making soups... Lots of soups. I froze the turkey carcass and the ham bone. Turkey bones are fantastic reroasted. I pull them out of the freezer and bake them, uncovered, for an hour or two until the bones are nicely browned. Boil the bones... Deglaze the roasting dish...add veggie scraps and cook it all till everything gives up it's favors... A few hours?



After that, strain the whole mess into another pot, picking out any good bits of turkey meat and adding those pieces and some diced onion, carrot and celery. I throw in thyme, dry minced onion, tumeric, pepper and salt or chicken bouillon. Boil till the veggies are tender.


Look at this weather!! Thunderstorms, warm temps, no snow...hard to believe its December in northern Michigan! Not that I'm complaining. 


1 comment:

Cathy said...

I love the trees and your hexies are adorable. Yum...I can smell the soup. Hugs

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...