Saturday, September 9, 2017

Tutorial to make the Double Nine patch quilt


I'm more than 1/2 way done with my Double Nine Patch and Snowball quilt.
I decided to add snowball blocks to give it a little added interest. 
Some people have written to me asking about the pattern....there isn't one. I saw something similar at an antique shop a few years ago and have always had this in the back of my mind to make.



Start with a little 9 patch block...cut 1-1/2" strips of shirtings, dots, and vintage scraps. 
Sub cut into 1-1/2" squares. Make LOADS of these little nine patches. I used darker pieces in the corners, red centers and light and mediums in between. These mini 9 patches should measure 3-1/2" ....also cut solid 3-1/2" squares of a background fabric. Using the mini 9 patches and the solids, make the large double 9 patch shown above. This block should measure 9-1/2" (or 9" finished).



Now cut the alternating blocks out of the background fabric...9-1/2" square.
I wanted these to be snowball blocks so I chopped the corners and stitched on plaid shirting.





Cut 3-1/2" strips of shirting...one XXL men's shirt was enough for my quilt (or buy about 3/4 yard)

Using my EASY ANGLE ruler, I cut my plaid triangles. What size? Well, I cut a cardboard 3-1/2" square, lined up the dotted 1/4" line with the corners and sliced. This gave me the small triangle to cut corners off my background squares and a template to cut my plaid corners. (See below)



Here's my corner piece...

  Snips the corner perfectly!

Now I can lay my triangle plaid pieces, lining up the one straight edge the acrylic template give me...and stitch.

Just be sure you don't put the piece on the wrong side...if it looks too big like above, turn it and place it on the next edge!!!
Well I hope this helps some of you that want to make this quilt


No comments:

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...