Sunday, February 19, 2017

Scrappy block tutorial

These are more Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks that I made for one of my rainbow quilts. I've a feeling there are going to be quite a few quilts coming out of this SCRAP CHALLENGE! My scraps are overflowing so I'm happy to be working on them but my UFO list is growing and that's not good! It's probably up to 38 or 39...I KNOW, shocking! But when you consider that I've been quilting since the 80's (and collecting fabric since the 60's), I have a HUGE pile of scraps.


And another good thing is...family members are getting quilts... multiple quilts. Plus plenty for donations and auctions. I think a few will go to the hospital up north here. They have a program where a child that has to stay overnight at the hospital for the first time, gets a teddy bear and a quilt.
This is a wonderful thing...just thinking of my grandson....well, if he ever had to stay he would be really scared. So yes, a few will go there.




These are two of my "sea green/ aqua" blocks that I made for the SO SCRAPPY
RSC17. Some I made today and some yesterday. Al and I have a large painting job that is taking most of everyday so I've been getting up an hour early so that I can have a relaxing cup of coffee and do some stitching. My vision isn't the greatest anymore so stitching in the evening just doesn't work.... plus I'm tired by time we get home and make dinner...etc.



I thought some of you might want to try this block...It's really simple but not very large. It's only 7"...7-1/2" before adding to a quilt. It uses up some of those 1-1/2" strips many of you have collected.
I try to find blocks that use up what I have and my pile of 1-1/2" strips is high and falling over...

I place dark 1-1/2" squares in the four corners and the center...This seems to bring the block alive. The background works with low volume fabrics, white, creams, light grays,...etc.
Pick medium volume fabrics for the 3-1/2" and 2-1/2" color pieces. They need to stand out from the background but be lighter than the dark squares.


I hope you can read this photo of my block...I took a picture of my eq7 printout. If you can't let me know and I'll print off a sheet then photograph that.

TO PUT THE BLOCK TOGETHER, I made 4 little log cabins...start with the darkest 1-1/2" squares. Attach the little white square. Then the white 2-1/2", then the color 2-1/2" and finally the color 3-1/2".
Press those 4 small log cabins then place them like the block shows. It'll be like sewing up a 9 patch now. If anyone wants a picture of how it goes together...I will gladly take photos of the next one I make as I do it.

So to put this quilt together, I was planning on turning them on point and cut 7-1/2" squares of white scraps...using them as the alternate block. BUT, my daughter likes how they look in the picture above, place on the bed with a little white sashing. So that's probably how I'll do them. I might use a 3" sashing and put PLUS sign blocks as cornerstones...sort of the way I did my purple and gray quilt. OR I might just keep it all white.


3 comments:

Sally said...

Hi Deb,
Many thanks! I figured I would have to 'wing' it--love the block and I have many, many scraps!

Kathy S. said...

That's a gorgeous block. Is March color green?

Northern Deb said...

Kathy, the greenish block is "sea green" or aqua and is my last block for Feb. the color for March is RED :)

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...