Thursday, December 6, 2012

Worth it's weight in GOLD :)

We were chatting this morning on Facebook about the time we put into our quilts and crafts and it brought to mind this tablecloth I bought a while back at a Goodwill. I paid about $4 for it. It's a full sized cloth, fits my table perfectly, but I don't use it ...EVER. There is a TON of work into it and I know I could never replace it if it should get stained.
What really gets me is that someone took this treasure and donated it. After all the work that was put into it! I'm not sure if a family member made it or if it was brought back from Japan during the war, or what BUT someone put hours and hours into it.
I took a couple of close-ups so you could see the work. There are designs all ove this cloth, plus there's a matching card table sized cloth with it.

Check out the bridge... it's all done as pulled stitches (not sure what this type of stitching is called). And under the bridge there are some lines of pulled stitches. Then the cloth wasn't just hemmed, it has more stitching all the way around, pulled stitches again. Just amazing.

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

See I would use it - cover it with clear heavy plastic - can get that in Joanne's I think, by the roll with the picnic table clothe.

Northern Deb said...

You're right. That would be a good solution. I think the next time I have friends over, I'll put it out.

Barb H said...

That table cloth is too beautiful to keep hidden away in a drawer. Put it on the table and give all your guests big bibs! :)

Cindy said...

deb, i believe the "pulled stitches" you are referring to is "drawn thread" embroidery and is also called "hardanger" - i've never done hardanger, but what i've seen of the technique is very pretty. the stitching produces an "open" stitch, which produces a "lacy" effect.
truly a treasure you have there!

Northern Deb said...

Barb...hehe...yup, that would work also :))
Cindy, I keyed "drawn stithes" into google images and you're right, thats what it is. Thank you for naming it for me.

First quilt finish this year

This is the first finish of 2023!  I wanted to get one of two "great niece " quilts finished. The top was made last year as part o...